Monday, May 25, 2015

Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Hot Cereal


We are really trying to get Blake to learn healthy habits and learn to like different kinds of foods.  I hate to give her instant oatmeal because of the amount of sugar in them.  They are convenient sometimes but I try to make her home cooked food as much as possible.  I like to make a batch of this on Sundays and it can just be heated up for her on weekday mornings while I'm at work.  It's also really delicious!

Ingredients 

  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 1/2 cups of cold water
  • 1/2 tbs butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
  • 3 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 box (or a handful) of raisins
Bring the quinoa and water to a boil for 1 minute and then reduce to low and cover.  Simmer until cooked and water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.  That's it!

*Sometimes when it is re-heated it can seem a little dry.  Just add a little more milk.


I also make my own apple pie spice because I couldn't find it at the grocery store and I already had all the ingredients. Here's how to make your own.
  • 1/4 cup cinnamon
  • 1 tbs allspice
  • 2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom

Enjoy!

No comments: