Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade Baby Wipes








This is really quick and easy.  Even for a new, first time mom like me.  I made them in the first week I was home.  The only thing you have to watch out for is, due to the fact that these are all natural with no preservatives, they can mold.  This really isn't a problem considering that you go through a batch of them in about a week.  Just don't make multiple batches and store for later.

I love these wipes.  When we brought Blake home I used Pampers wipes.  I was paranoid about diaper rash and I did notice her skin was a little irritated.  I don't know if that was just a normal newborn thing and normal new mom obsessiveness but when I switched over to my homemade wipes, which are really moisturizing, her skin looked way better.

All you have to do is mix the water, coconut oil, and baby wash together in a bowl.  The coconut oil is solid at room temp but has a really low melting point.  Making these in September in southern California, my coconut oil was already in a liquid state but if yours isn't, just use water that is a little warm and it will melt.

Cut a roll of Bounty Select-A-Size** paper towels in half.  It can be a little bit messy and use a big serrated knife.  Save the other half for the next batch.
**You must use Bounty.  Other paper towels will fall apart.

Stick the half roll of paper towels in the bowl of liquid and let it soak it up.  I turn it over once all the liquid is absorbed and let gravity do the rest.  In about an hour it will be all absorbed and you can pull out the cardboard center.  Put in an old wipe box or container of your choosing and pull from the center to dispense.

I made a sticker label to cover the Pampers label and done and done.  So easy :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How do you get the paper towel roll into the baby wipe container? I do the same thing and use a quart container but I would love something easier to open and close

Mara {One Lucky Girl} said...

You do have to smash it down a little and the first few wipes don't come out as easy. Once the first few are out it works perfectly. I bet The Container Store has something that would be even better. I think there are containers that are round and about the size of a toilet paper roll that pop open at the top to dispense.